Sunday, November 23, 2008

Happy Pilgrim Day!

Here is the Pilgrim Village in Plymouth, the employees all assume the character of someone that really came over in the Mayflower, and settled in Plymouth. They tell you all sorts of things about their lives in England, and their lives in the new colony. There was lots to see, and we liked hearing their stories inside their little homes, right by the fires they had built....warmth!
Charlotte, Katie, and I on the cannon; there were cannons set up in the upstairs of where they met for church meetings below...interesting...church and weapons
I decided that this was the first Jenga game...the wood is all stacked very strategically; I was worried that it really might all fall over if we tried to pull a log of wood out.

Here I am, a little sad...I only get to live in the poor native's hut?! Why don't I get a big one? Apparently because I am single, the natives of Plymouth only built huts big enough for their families, but never bigger...that makes sense, don't have something bigger than you need-genius!
Katie, Charlotte, Victoria, Michael, and I in a canoe made by natives. They actually sailed this one from Plymouth down to Martha's Vineyard, on open water...scary!Here is the whole group warming up in a cafe along the ocean, we could see most of the Thanksgiving parade from the windows; I enjoyed super yummy hot chocolate and award-winning New England clam chowder in a bread bowl.
Here is my roommate, Candice, and I posed by the Mayflower that brought the Pilgrims.
And the Mayflower again, it brought over some 130 people! It wasn't all that spacious, and my family would not have been comfortable, I had to walk around the boat with my head tilted to the side...I guess the Pilgrims were much shorter...
And here is Plymouth rock!

Those are the pictures from my fun Saturday in Plymouth, Massachusetts. So I had a bit of a long, stressful week, trying to keep up with schoolwork and studies, and my life in general, after 3 fun, but busy days in NYC last weekend. I made it through the week ok, and have had a really good weekend. I have been trying to get a research paper done all week, and it just doesn't seem to be happening for me. I have decided that I do not like research papers; I like writing and have done well on all my other papers this semester, but research papers are not my thing. Maybe a PhD will not be in my future..hmm...or maybe it could if I was doing some of my own research. Anyway, after a long day of unsuccessfully working on my paper on Friday, I went with my roommate, Melissa, to the temple in the evening. Have I mentioned that I love it there?! I think so, but I really do. Going once a week to the temple keeps me going really, and gives me so much more peace than I can ever find during my busy weeks. Saturday morning I went with my roommates, Candice, and Melissa, to breakfast at this super yummy restaurant called Zaftigs with another friend, Cami. I had Challah french toast, it is a Jewish delicatessen. It was delicious! I love yummy breakfasts, they make me happy. Then I drove myself, Melissa and Candice down south an hour to Plymouth, Masssachusetts where it all began. We found parking, met another group of friends, 10 of us in all, and enjoyed a day in the life of a Piligrim. It was freezing cold, seriously...thermometers were reading 25, but with the windchill in Massachusetts, it was probably 10-15 degrees. Cold, cold, cold. And apparently, it will be here to stay until April or so. Enjoy the pictures, and happy early Thanksgiving!

No comments:

I AM LOVING LIFE!

I AM LOVING LIFE!
Still wishing my Mom was closer with all of the wedding preparation...