Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Mommy Comes to Visit-Days 0, 1, 2

I picked my Mom up from the airport on Saturday evening, June 13th. We enjoyed Saturday evening and then Sunday my mom came to church with me. She got to see all of my friends and all of the wonderful young single adults who I go to church with. After church, we ate a quick lunch and then went over to Arnold Arboretum-a beautiful park near my house; we walked a lot, we sat on a bench, we watched the people and interesting couples, we watched the dogs, and we took some silly photos. My mom and I on the bench in Arnold Arboretum
On Monday, I had to go to 1st Aid and CPR training for my summer job, so Mom went to the Cambridgeside Galleria and quickly got burnt out on shopping. Afterwards, we headed south, stopping at a Costco on the way. We drove into Providence because we were going to pick up my friend, Rachel, who was flying into that airport and then we would take her back to Boston with us. We had a fun afternoon in Providence, RI. I loved all of these old houses along Federal Heights; they were so well-restored, painted in lots of fun colors, and the street was open and lined with trees.
Here are Mom and I down by the riverwalk that runs through downtown Providence.
This is me in front of the capital building in Providence, which is in fact the capital of Rhode Island. My mom had never been to Rhode Island, and now she has officially been to the smallest state in the U.S. Providence is much smaller than Boston, but it really is a charming place!
Here is Mom in front of the Providence capital building; there is some neat architecture in Providence.
Isn't the detail on this front door entrance neat?!
Here is a view of the riverwalk and parts of downtown Providence...if you look closely at that bridge across the water, more towards the left....can you spy me? Where's Kristina!?
Mom's cool angle of the capital building, taken from the car. Yes, I am the tour guide, and I get around just fine, thanks to Yolanda, my faithful GPS. Those of you without a GPS might mock the name, but you clearly do not understand how important they are, nor how they often take on a personality of their own.
So with Mom here, the cupcake expert, we spent a lot of our time together trying the yummiest cupcakes we could find. We found Nancy's Fancies in Providence. They filled and decorated them in front of you on the spot; they were fresh and really homemade tasting! Loved them. We had Lemon meringue, Coconut dream, Boston Creme Pie, and then the Dirt one was for Rachel (chocolate, chocolate frosting, oreo crumbs, and a gummy worm)
Here I am with our cupcake box! Yummy! We sampled a couple and then headed to the Little Italy section of Providence for some yummy pasta, the real stuff, none of this American Italian.
The pink awning marks the spot...cupcake heaven!
Here is the pineapple hanging over the entrance into the Little Italy part of the city; I forget what the pineapple symbolizes?! Something important...what was it again, Mom?!

2 comments:

Vanalee said...

Pineapple, it's not a pineapple, but a pine cone and it symbolizes longevity (I think) :)

Dan and Dee said...

It looked like a pineapple at first glance...

I AM LOVING LIFE!

I AM LOVING LIFE!
Still wishing my Mom was closer with all of the wedding preparation...