Thursday, April 23, 2009

Happy Patriot's Day

So here in Boston, well, in Massachusetts, we have our very own state holiday. It is Patriot's Day, and commemorates when the battles began. To celebrate, we got a big group together (probably about 18 of us) and drove to Lexington to watch the reenactment on the battle green. The reenactment starts at 5:30, so that meant that I left my house at 4 am to start all my pick-ups and get my car load of people there by 5 am. Here we are posed with some "British soldiers." Front row: Rachel, Pat, Aimee, Me, Joseph, and Charlotte.
Here are the "regulars" doing a salute and showing respect, after the battle, to their soldiers who had fallen dead. Today it is the cemetery.
Rachel and I, in the cemetery
Pat, Aimee, Molly, Cassie, Katie, Denise, Joseph, Charlotte, and Rachel (the 3 blankets in my car did come in handy to keep us warm on a cold, crisp New England morning)
Here are the British marching off of Battle Green and down the road.
The drum line
Here is Battle Green. It is insane how many people pack in and get up so early to witness this reenactment. People sleep out to get front row seats, and others bring ladders-they climb them, sit on top, and watch the battle. Here is what my camera took from some ways back-the British marching off the field.
It was a foggy morning, which kinda set the mood and the perfect ambiance to the whole event. We had a boy behind us on his dad's shoulders, and he sure knew his history, he was giving us a play by play of what was going on down on the field when we couldn't see certain things.
Aimee, Cassie, me, Rachel, Katie, and Charlotte in front. I think our group was the happiest bunch to be alive at that early in the morning, people probably wondered why we were so "happy" and laughing so much.
Aimee, Cassie, Me, and Rachel-rise and shine...how many people can say that they are perky and bright-eyed at this hour of the morning?!
After all of the events in Lexington, we headed back to Boston and all had breakfast at IHOP. Fun morning, and we got so much accomplished by 9 am! Amazing.

No comments:

I AM LOVING LIFE!

I AM LOVING LIFE!
Still wishing my Mom was closer with all of the wedding preparation...