Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Day Around Town

So my friend Alison had Friday off of work. It was a beautiful, warm day (yes, 55-60 degrees in Boston is warm! Especially with it being like 15 tonight, with a horrible winter storm on the way that will dump 10-15 inches of snow in 6 hours or less!) I woke up to go swimming with my friend, Andrew and then I ran 6 miles with Alison. I love being active, and it was great after 2 days off with my pulled back muscle that I had been resting from. PS sore back-take advil regularly-it works! Anyway, after working out, going grocery shopping, and getting ready for the day, Alison and I headed out. We realized once on the T (the train, ie the subway in and around Boston) that we didn't really have a plan. We were just excited to be out without coats or even jackets on! We headed to the Prudential Center, went to the Skywalk on the 50th story, and used the free audio guide to learn all about Boston and see everything. It was fun to pick out things we knew, and try to find home, etc. Then we walked through Copley Square, past the Boston Common and the Boston Public Garden, got turned around in Chinatown, then walked along the water and past Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall, and finally ended up where we wanted to be-in the North End. We found some yummy Italian food-I had gnocchi with pesto sauce...and then we got delicious pastries to go at Modern pastry-there is also Maria's pastry and Mike's pastry shoppe, all supposed to be the best around...anyway, we got these amazing canollis to go...come visit, I will take you and we can experiment a little bit of heaven together! We just hung out the rest of the night, made an appearance at a friend's b-day party, etc. I have enjoyed the rest of my weekend, too. This semester seems busier with school, but I am still making time for the important things and for a social life. I still love Boston, and am excited about all of the things that I have left to explore! So the first picture is of the funniest thing that we saw on Friday. It was superwindy for a little while. As we were cutting across Copley Square, we saw a guy on a razor scooter holding a huge plastic tarp, yes, like a sail, he was trying to sail through with the wind, without having to use manpower for his little scooter. I couldn't really capture it, but man was it funny!Here I am in Copley Square on the turtle. Yes, many of you have seen the picture of me on the turtle back in August when I first got to Boston! Everyone tried to claim that the turtle got me from Boston back to Colorado for the family reunion. Haha. Anyway, the windblown scarf and hair are natural effects!
Alison and I are posing at the top of the Prudential Center with beautiful Boston behind us!
This is a picture of the infamous Fenway Park, if you come in a few months, I will take you to my first Red Sox baseball experience...it is on my list of must-do's very soon.
See that Citgo sign? That marks Kenmore Square, where I get off the T or the bus and walk a few blocks to campus. Boston University is what you seeing running between the river and that major 2-way road.
This is a view of the Back Bay, one of my favorite parts of Boston. I love all the buildings, the tree lined streets, Newbury Street-a posh shopping street, and the tree-lit walkway down the middle of Commonwealth Ave. I would love to live there someday...
Here is a view of Boston, that tall, shiny tower is the John Hancock Tower, and at the bottom left base is Trinity church, located in Copley Square.
I love being in Boston, and I love being able to explore. I can't wait for some of the activities that will come with warmer weather. You should come visit me soon! Hope you are warmer than I am wherever you are in the world!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you're doing well and having fun! I miss you lots! I was just telling some stories about you the other day. Love ya!

LaurieD said...

You might want to consider an electric bicycle, instead of a razor scooter...more efficient. :)

I AM LOVING LIFE!

I AM LOVING LIFE!
Still wishing my Mom was closer with all of the wedding preparation...