Wednesday, March 3, 2010

God Bless Texas!

There are many things that I am being reminded of all the time about Texas, what it means to live in Texas, and what it means to be a Texan. Even though I should claim being Texan, and was mostly born and raised here, it has been about 8 1/2 years since I lived here, and I am having to remember a lot about the great state of Texas.

Last night I went to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, the largest rodeo anywhere, and had a blast. James and Ruth invited us (Brian and I) to go to Alan Jackson with them, and Ruth's mom and sister came, along with another couple. We got there in time to get some good rodeo food, watch the rodeo events-buckin' broncos, barrel racing, and lots of other favorites. Our new favorite was mutton bustin' where 5 and 6 year olds ride sheep and see who can stay on the longest-it was hilarious. Then we enjoyed the Alan Jackson concert. I love the rodeo, it brings out the cowgirl in me, kinda.Here is the Reliant Stadium, where the Houston Texans play football, converted for rodeo time. The rodeo had just ended and the concert was getting set up.
I ordered a baked potato with chopped bar-b-q on it, and jalapenos, and was quite apprehensive, it weighed like 5 pounds and was the size of my head. Okay, not really, but seriously, everything really is bigger and better in Texas. But don't you fret, I ate the whole entire thing, and yeah, Brian did not even finish his ;) I really am the eater! There were deep fried twinkies, nutter butters, oreos, etc. on the menu. I don't really love any of those things, but maybe I will have to try them in the next couple of weeks...just to say I have. Brian and I have 2 more rodeo shows to go to-Tim McGraw next week, and then Keith Urban the next week with his family.
Brian and I at the rodeo (love this man!!!)

Last week, I went with Ruth to get Havana from her cousins, and we had to head south. We stopped at one of those huge, great outdoor stores, and Ruth, Holli, David, and I had fun...being redneck or something.
Ruth and Holli; Holli is wearing some princess hunting hat that Ruth tried on her...nice.
Here is David holding a gun, he was so stoked to get to do something so BOY.
Here I am helping David with the gun, not that I am much better than he is; we paid 50 cents to shoot like 25 or 30 times...it was not for real.
Here I am hugging my brown bear (Brian gives the best Brown bear hugs, and he even sent me my very own brown bear to have while I was far away from him in Boston). So while he was at work, I had to opt for a hug from this great big brown bear.
And here is David, being Davy Crockett or something, in his raccoon hat.

I love Texas...and I guess maybe I forgot ;)

5 comments:

Jessica and Rod said...

When I left Texas for college I didn't really think I'd ever move back, but I'm glad the opportunity opened up. You gotta love Texas.
By the way, I just heard you and Brian are engaged. I guess I'm a little slow. Congratulations!

Pretzel's World said...

I was the number one mutton buster when I was little... I bet you had no idea that your dear cousin Coley was so redneck did you? We love you Krissy and are so happy for you... You look great !! See you in a month!!
XoXO

Kristen and Ryan said...

Hey! You guys should have parked at my house and walked over!
We are figuring out this whole texas rodeo thing and LOVING it!
Have fun with the wedding plans!

KTB said...

FUN! I'm SO sad I have missed the rodeo for three years now. It's the best!

Dan and Dee said...

such fun! Loved that you blogged even though you are so busy!
Just a few more weeks!!! :)

I AM LOVING LIFE!

I AM LOVING LIFE!
Still wishing my Mom was closer with all of the wedding preparation...