Thursday, September 10, 2009

Just Me and My Dad...

So apparently everyone really wants to make it on my blog and when they do, they feel like they have accomplished something. People also take it personally if I forget to blog about something that I have done with them. I try, people, I really do. So my Dad was eager to have a post on my blog about his trip to Boston to see me. He even offered me the perfect suggestion for the post's title. My Dad and I left Charlotte, NC from Leigh and Andrew's mountain cabin and headed to Boston on Monday. We arrived in the afternoon, got a taxi to my old place, checked my Dad into my favorite bed and breakfast in town, and then went to pick up a uhaul. We drove the Uhaul to my old place, and started loading it up; my new roommates, Rachel and Amanda, came to help. It made it go much faster. Then we unloaded all of my stuff at our new place. We dropped off the Uhaul and all of us met up with Alison (the 4th roommate) for dinner at Corrib Pub-we all pretty much had salmon, yummy. My Dad was eager to try their Boston Creme Pie, since Alison always talks about how good it is, but they didn't have any. Sad day. After dropping my Dad off, I went back to my new place and did lots of unpacking and unloading. My room is smaller (but cheaper, which is important), and I was struggling to see how all my stuff was going to fit. With lots of dejunking and organizing, it finally all fits...and I am just finally feeling settled. Tuesday morning, I met my Dad and we hopped on the T (Boston's subway) and went towards downtown. We got off right by the Boston Public Garden, and walked the Freedom Trail-through Boston Common, past the Massachusetts State House, by Park Street Chapel, through the Old Burial Grounds, alongside King's Chapel, by the Old South Meeting House, right by the Old State House, and onto Faneuil Hall. We walked through Quincy Market and got our first sampling of Boston Creme Pie (Leigh has suggested the kind in the market). Here is Dad with his first treat, I helped him eat it though, of course. Then we walked over to the Harbor, bought tickets for a ferry, and went to grab lunch at Al's State Street Cafe-they make awesome sandwiches. We ate our sandwiches, got on the ferry, and road over to Charlestown. We walked past the USS Constitution and then onto Bunker Hill Monument. We even climbed the 25o stairs to the top for the view of the city. It was a lot of stairs, after lots of walking, and lots of moving the day before. Let's just say we were both feeling pretty sore! Then Dad decided to walk back towards the North End (Boston's Little Italy) and see Paul Revere's house and Old North Church (one if by land, 2 if by sea). I had to get on the T and head to Boston University for my student teaching meeting with my advisor. Dad and I met up after, walked around campus, walked down Newbury Street (a charming, posh shopping street in Boston) and all the way to Copley Square. Then we headed into the Prudential Center where we had dinner at Legal Seafoods. We sampled the New England Clam Chowda (the same stuff that is served at the Presidential Inaugurations), Dad had lobsters for dinner (I got to help him eat it, since there was a lot), and I had the crab cakes. We finished it all off with dessert, yes, with Boston Creme Pie. The waiter had specifically offered it, and I figured Dad would not say no to 2 Boston Creme Pies in one day, it is Dad's favorite, so I guess we are justified.
The view from the ferry in the Harbor
Dad on the ferry boat headed from the Harbor to Charlestown
Here is me on the ferry ride; I love the water!
Dad in his lobster bib-so cute. Dad really knew how to crack those things open and get the meat out...I would have been helpless.
Here are his yummy lobsters
and here is the Boston Creme Pie that made our meal more than complete and more than satisfying.
After dinner at Legal Seafoods, we went to the top of the Prudential Center to do the Skywalk Observatory. It is one of my favorite spots because you can see Boston at all angles and off into so may directions. We got to see everything at dusk, and watch the sunset. I love, love, love this city! After a long day of lots and lots of walking (probably some 5 or more miles, maybe 7, who knows), we headed back on the T to get some rest for the evening.
On Wednesday, we decided to head out of Boston, since Dad basically saw the entire city in one day. That's my Dad, he can do it all! We started the day with a 5 mile run along the Charles River with all of the other Boston runners, and there are lots of them. Then we took my car out to do the historical exploring in Lexington and Concord. We stopped at my favorite farmer's market in Lexington, called Wilson Farms, and bought some snacks and food for lunch. Then we did a couple of visitors centers, walked the Battle Road, saw where much of the action took place along the way between the colonists and the regulars.
Here is Dad on Old North Bridge, where the shot heard round the world was fired, starting the fighting.
I saw this tree and thought it was cool, it basically fell into the ground while growing, but then still managed to start growing back upward. I guess I saw it as a huge metaphor for our lives...think about it. If you want to know more on my thoughts, email me or comment on my blog and I can expound.
Here I am on the Old North Bridge

After seeing the majority of the historical sites in Lexington and Concord, and driving past Emerson's home and the place where the Little Women story takes place, we headed over to Walden Pond. We did not swim, but we walked the entire Pond-it is beautiful and reminded me of the importance of simplifying our lives.

After all that, I was pretty worn out, but Dad was still up for more. So we got in my car and headed up North to Salem, MA. We walked around Salem, but missed most of the witch stuff that was already closed. I was reminded that I really don't like Salem all that much, and there are so many more places that I would rather go and where I would rather take people. We continued up North to Marblehead, which I had forgotten how much I loved. We drove around the town, through a narrow, winding seaport town with darling houses, then over to the part with all the huge, gorgeous homes right along the beach and the ocean. We stopped at Cape Ann Lighthouse, which was a beautiful vantage point at sunset. Here is Dad at the lighthouse.
And here is another look at Marblehead and all the sail boats.
We finished off the night by driving back to Boston, all along the shoreline. We had a late dinner at a yummy Jewish delicatessen in town. They serve breakfast all day, which means I got my Challah French Toast-yummy. It was a very fun day, but a very long, tiring one, too.

I don't seem to have any pictures documenting Dad and I's day on Thursday...sad. We had a good day though. We took the T to Harvard Square, and ate Indian food for lunch. Then we walked around the square and around Harvard's campus. We got frozen yogurt at one of my favorite places, BerryLine (it is that healthy, tart frozen yogurt, and you can get all sorts of berry/fruit toppings-love it). Then we went to see Longfellow's house, and we saw my burnt down chapel that is still being gutted and cleaned in the interior. Dad also came with me that night to my favorite place in Boston, to the temple. It was ward temple night, so he got to meet some of my favorite people here in town.

On Friday, we took a day trip out of town, and it is definitely a trip that I would repeat with any visitors who wanted to see more of New England. We drove down to Newport, Rhode Island and had a great day. We walked around the wharf, ate a very good seafood lunch right on the water, looked at all the shops, and the yachts. I think this yacht suits Dad, and I would sure love to ride around in it ;)
We had seafood for lunch, but no crab-don't worry.
Here is a look at Newport.
After lunch, we walked around the major downtown part of Newport, which had charming houses and lots of fun shops, boutiques, and restaurants. Then we got back in the car and took the Ocean Drive. I had to stop and get my picture and smell the ocean water.
Then Dad and I decided to just go and see one of the many mansions that are in Newport. They were built as people's summer cottages back in the day, and are truly impressive. We went to see the one called the Breakers. Here is the backyard, yep that huge lawn that backs right up to the ocean.
Here is the front entrance to the mansion
and here are Dad and I wishing that it was our mansion or that we could at least stay a while. I loved the grounds more than the mansion, and decided that I would have been happy with a little tree house or a shed to live in if I could have that outside space right on the sea.
After an extensive tour of the mansion, Dad and I ventured over to the Cliff Walk, a 3.5 mile walk along the ocean. We just walked a small portion of that, and then walked the 40 steps down to the water. I got adventurous and decided to climb down some rocks so I could get really close to the ocean. I love the water. Dad was still above, and I was down below...then I noticed a really cool waterfall coming out from between the rocks. I went back, got Dad, and got my camera.

I was moving out onto the rocks, and was feeling pretty confident about being as close to the waterfall as I could. I kept moving closer. I stepped onto a darker rock, and well, the dark was from algae. It was super slippery. I lost my balance, slipped, and landed on my butt in huge pool of water on the rock. Luckily, my camera didn't fall in and my purse was relatively dry. I was laughing really hard at myself, Dad was in a bit of disbelief, and I was really wet. However, I felt that I had come this far, and needed a good picture of the waterfall. So what did I do...I headed back out onto the rock in a matter of seconds, I slipped again, worse this time, and was on my hands and knees sliding backwards down the rock and towards the ocean. I was able to stop luckily, and not fall right in with the huge waves. I was not laughing as much this time. I had been really close to falling in and getting hurt. My camera and purse were magically still safe. Dad looked really concerned, and was dumbfounded that I had gone back over the 2nd time. I got to my feet with his help, climbed back up, and had to walk around and drive home....with a soaked behind. That is what I get for getting too close to the edge, and for trying the same dumb thing twice. Slippery rocks-stay away from them, even if they don't look slippery.
The lousy pictures of the waterfall
They did not even really turn out; that is what I get for being stupid and stubborn, I suppose.
And here is my wet behind, you can see down the middle of my shorts are wet and darker than the outside. My shoes (sanuks, which I love and just got this summer) were covered and stained with dirt and green algae. Sad day. Dad and I headed home, got dinner at Upper Crust in town (a pizza place), and then I packed my bags for Texas and tried to set up my room more. I had a blast with my Dad, despite a few blunders. Thanks for coming to visit me, Dad! Any and all are still welcome. I am becoming quite the tour guide and perfect itinerary planner...and I always do at least a couple of dumb things to keep you entertained...just ask my Dad.

1 comment:

Vanalee said...

So you know your dad doesn't leave comments on blogs. I've even offered to help him set up an account to do so. This morning he asked me if he was on your blog yet and told me how he had even suggested the title for the post (so funny). I think he logged on right then to check it out. Everyone loves to be featured on your blog :)

I AM LOVING LIFE!

I AM LOVING LIFE!
Still wishing my Mom was closer with all of the wedding preparation...